Thursday, October 1, 2009

What is up with Aspertame?!?

Ever since the birth of our daughter, my Wal*Mart trips have been reduced from leisurely two-hour strolls (while my son is at daycare...naturally...do you think I'm crazy?!?) to 25-minute mad dashes. I've become skilled at tossing the regular items in the cart and racing to the self-checkout. THEN Wal*Mart's store labels Great Value and Equate changed their packaging to this really plain vanilla, hard to differentiate, Greek flag knockoff scheme. All of a sudden, my 25-minute dashes became 40-minute hair pulling, trying to maintain my cool (all the while desperately needing to rush home to pump) escapades. A side effect of this change is reading the new labels more closely. Check out the nutrition fiction mumbo jumbo "they" try to sell us.

I'm particular what I feed my 18-month old, and would prefer his snacks not to be sweetened with aspertame. (You know, possible cancer link and all, even though the latest studies now suggest otherwise.) Well, last Saturday, I discovered that Wal*Mart only carries yogurt sweetened with aspertame. Even the kiddie gogurt stuff. Seriously! For 20 minutes, I stood in the dairy section reading every single ingredient on every single brand and type of yogurt and was disappointed each time. Absolutely the only thing I found with good old fashioned sugar and high fructose corn syrup is Yoplait Whips Chocolate Mousse Style...which is barely even yogurt. The only saving grace, it's as sweet as it sounds, so of course my kid loves it.

Now, one of my goals is to scope out the other chains in my town to see if their yogurt selection is more satisfactory. I'll let you know what I find.

No comments: