Thursday, January 21, 2010

Potty Time

My son is afraid to go potty. Shame really because he started out so well. Thanks to Elmo's Potty Time DVD, he proudly and loudly exclaims 'wee wee' and 'woo woo' either as he's doing it or about to do it. Great. So we bought training pants, a.k.a. pull-ups, which our little prodigy quickly grasped the concept of. So what went wrong? Overzealous parents!

About three weeks ago, my son yelled 'woo woo' and had a pained expression on his face. My husband and I grabbed him up and whisked him away to the bathroom, stripped him of pants, pull-ups and probably decency as we waited for him to do his thing. Five minutes later he emerges with an 'all done'. The three of us lean over to examine his specimen and found one exceptionally large woo woo for such a wee little kid covered in blood. Constipation fears smoothed with the decision to administer prunes asap, my husband and I were so proud. Our son went woo woo in the potty for the very first time.

After that episode, whenever our kid so much as indicated with a raised leg that he had to go potty, I would yell for my husband and we'd both run to our kid and whisk him away. However, he refused to sit on the potty. What gives? I think we scared the bejesus out of him, but my husband thinks the really hard woo woo kind of scarred him temporarily. Who knows?

So we're giving it a while before we attempt to promote the potty again. He's taken to pull-ups again fairly recently, which is progress, because he even refused to wear those. And you bet next round, we'll be a lot less eager. At least in front of him.

No comments: