Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kids Say the Darnest Things

My son turned two on Saturday. This is a big milestone for kids as the first birthday party is really for the overeager parents, but the second birthday party is understandable (if only for cake and baloons), and generally the kids can speak clearly enough to express their thoughts. So my husband and I threw a little birthday party for him. Get togethers like these are important to us because it gives us an opportunity to spend time with our friends, especially our kids' godparents, who are our de facto extended family here.

I love kiddie parties and birthdays. Especially this one and I'll tell you why in a minute. First, we decided on an Elmo theme. We ordered a few Elmo mylar baloons, an Elmo birthday cake and used Elmo paper plates and cups. Not overboard, but cute. I counted nine kids, as many adults and even more smiles. Thankfully, no one got hurt, only one kid cried (for just a minute when his brother wouldn't share a toy) and everyone seemed to have fun. Whew!

After the party, my kids got to spend some time with their godparents over dinner. This is always a blast for us as much as them. But the most rewarding part of my day came at bedtime. As I dressed my son in his firetruck pyjamas and asked him if he enjoyed his party, he replied 'happy day'. I could have melted. (When I relayed this to my husband later that night, he told me he's sure our son meant to say 'happy birthday'. But what do Dad's know anyway?)

No comments: