Sunday, April 11, 2010

What's The Big Idea

For the last few months, my Mom has been insisting that it's time to potty train my son. Never short on advice, she added that the best way to do this is to let him run around bare bottom for a few days. Apparently, she employed this method on me, my brother and my nephew, with marvelous results. (I can attest to its success some 29 years later.)

My husband and I (who are complete clean freaks) have been postponing this naked task, more so because we dread the clean-up, than the process. However, after my husband's co-worker confirmed the success rate of the bare bottom method, we reluctantly agreed to give it a try.

The idea behind this insanity is that toddlers are aware of the tingling sensation prior to a wee-wee or woo-woo, and realizing there is no catchall, head straight for the potty. Seems like a logical conclusion to me. But as I've learnt, there are no logical conclusions with toddlers.

Tonight after my son's evening milk, I took off his diaper, placed the potty in the living room and waited. For the next 30 minutes, my husband kept rolling his eyes, groaning and shouting whenever I veered more than one square foot away from our son - guess I got the job of toddler-placement-to-prevent-accident guard. The most excited one in the room was our son, who thought his potty's new location was stellar, followed by our daughter who throughly enjoyed watching her brother trying to figure out the 'deflector shield'. Then it happened.

Pssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhht. While watching the sprinkler from the kitchen door, I heard a very short flow of wee-wee. My startled kid, looked down, looked at me, then let loose another short flow of wee-wee. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't react and place him on the potty, which was less than two feet away, but I think it was because I was in shock about what happened next. The little tyke let loose the rest of his wee-wee, then started stomping in it like he would a rain puddle with the largest grin on his face. Horrified, I pulled him away and tried to figure out which mess I wanted to tackle first - the floor or my kid.

The only saving grace tonight was that his accident (at least the first third) was on tile and not carpet. This however in no way negates the disaster. I actually think my son would love if we let him run around bare bottom. Are we going to try this again? I honestly don't know. Definitely no time soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. This may take some time, apparently.

New Mama (Again) said...

Ohhhhh, you have no idea.