Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Joys of Motherhood

It's been such a long time since my last post, where do I begin? My children are growing up before my eyes and I can't believe how quickly time is passing.

My nine-month old daughter is cruising and standing all by herself. It's very entertaining to watch. Typically she cruises to get closer to her brother, reaches for a toy (or his hair), lets go of whatever piece of furniture she was holding onto to better grasp said toy, then looks over at me with shock and amazement when she realizes she's standing. Immediately following this realization, she falls flat on her bum. But she's a trooper. In less than a minute, the process starts all over again.

My son, now 26 months, has become a chatterbox and loves to repeat new words, especially 'pardon me'. The other day I asked him what he wanted for a snack. He replied with a 'huh?'. I told him 'excuse me, when you don't undersand what mama asks, say pardon me'. So I asked him again. He replied 'pardon me'. I asked him again. He replied 'pardon me'. When I finally realized what was going on, he began giggling and ran off.

Over the weekend, a couple friend of ours came to visit and asked to see my garden. While proudly pointing out each leaf and blossom, I paused to pull a weed. My son quickly interjected (with a pointed finger no less) 'no weeds in mama's garden - no weeds, no weeds, no weeds!'. That was too cute.

Then we get to daycare drop-offs, which have become bittersweet over the last few weeks. I utilize the drive-through drop off (so cool, I know). I get out, kiss the kids goodbye and exchange a few kind words with their teachers. My son normally has to be carried away kicking and screaming, reaching his little arms out for me. Then overnight, something clicked for him. He began telling me goodbye and 'see you tomorrow'. As proud as I was of him, it made my heart sink. When did my little boy become independent? Where is the little kid who needs his mama? Not to worry, my daughter still screams bloody murder when she's dropped off. At least I have her dependency to carry me through the next year (at least).

The best experience however has been watching my kids play side-by-side. They love each other but there is a general trend toward my son hugging my daughter too roughly and her piercing screams filling the air only to be immediately calmed the nanosecond I pick her up. But several times, they've co-existed on the living room floor in peace and harmony. What a breath of fresh air. I can't tell you how nice it is to get a break from toting a 23 lb baby around most of the day. Dare I dream about a day not too far away when they'll entertain each other for long periods of time so that I can actually get stuff done? Tempting, but let's not tempt fate.

No comments: