Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Four Day 24-hour Bug

My family is a tight knit group. So tight in fact, that when one of us gets sick, there is a domino effect until we're all sick. Thankfully this time, there was no overlap.

All too often, one of my kids will come back from daycare with a nasty bug. Last Saturday, my 11-month old daughter developed a 24-hour stomach bug. Poor thing had a horrible time. She was obviously in pain from stomach cramps and was understandably super clingly and whiney.

On Sunday, it was my two-year old son's turn. With him however, no amount of vomiting, diarrhoea or lack of food stops him from running amock for long. It's sort of inspiring how nothing keeps him down. He's a fighter.

Yesterday morning while getting ready for work, my husband suddenly fell ill and spent most of the day in bed. I love my husband, but even he admits he can be a big baby when he's not feeling well. Case in point, a conversation we had a little after noon yesterday. I'd just gotten both kids down for their afternoon nap. A most difficult feat as they were enjoying tearing the kitchen apart. I'd peaked in on my husband about a half hour earlier and he looked as if he were resting comfortably, so when I finally had a minute to myself, I used the opportunity to update our finances and deal with whatever long e-mail my Mom had sent that day. Then this...

Him: Babe, what are you doing?
Me: What do you mean? (I thought it was obvious what I was doing.)
Him: You didn't come to check on me.
Me: I thought you were sleeping.
Him: I wasn't sleeping. I was just lying down on the bed with my eyes closed.
Me: [Oooooooooook] Is there anything you need?
Him: No, but you didn't come to check on me.

So I got up from the computer, tucked my big baby in, told him how much I love him, then slipped out to continue getting some work done before one of our little monkeys woke up.

Then, this morning at exactly 4:45am, I awoke with godawful stomach cramps. After the obligatory trip to the toilet, I tried to nestle back under the covers and fall asleep. Uh-uh. Suddenly a wave of nausea washed over me and I made it as far as the sink before the previous night's dinner showed up. My darling husband hearing this, rushed over to comfort me and help me back into bed, where I spent most of the day. It's 10 hours later and I still feel like crap. The stomach cramps feel like the worst menstrual cycle ever. There are also muscle pains and of course the inability to keep anything down. But I can sit upright in bed typing this, so that has to be progress. At least I know it will be much better tomorrow.

No comments: