Friday, August 27, 2010

A Princess and a Prince

My daughter turned one on the 17th, and we celebrated with a Princess Party last Saturday. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I luv, luuuuv, luuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvv kiddie parties. They are so much fun and are filled with all the innocence youth can hold.

We had our regulars over, along with a few friends who drove 3-4 hours one way, to spend two hours with us. How sweet is that?!? But the best part was having my Mom there. Our folks all live abroad and are almost always absent from event photos. At last we can look upon these ones and see a grandparent. Priceless.

As much fun as the party was, the entire day was a roller coaster of emotions and activity. Saturday morning was exceptionally rushed. My darling husband decided to take a work trip and fly in on the last flight the night before, against my advice. Well of course his flight got cancelled and he didn't make it home until 12noon Saturday morning. (Lucky for him the party was scheduled for 2:30pm, or this post would be about an entirely different subject.) To top that off, he had to rush into work clothes and start mowing the lawn pronto. Maybe next time he'll listen to me. Thankfully my mom kept the kids occupied while I cleaned and cooked and decorated.

The princess theme was everywhere. (Ah the lives we live vicariously through our kids.) There was a Cinderella cake featuring Prince Charming placing the infamous glass slipper on Cinderella's foot, a rainbow of tiaras and princess wands. And of course my beautiful daughter dressed as a princess in a pink tutu and glittery pink ballerina shoes (sounds like a ballerina getup, but it looked princess-ey). There were also a number of helium baloons featuring the Disney princesses, including the newest one, Princess Tiana. What I didn't know until reviewing the pictures later was that sometime during the party, a sudden summer storm appeared out of nowhere and blew several away. Guess that's a good thing or I would have freaked out even more than normal.

During that short storm when lightning whipped the sky and the thunder roared, we ushered everyone inside. That was ok (as we planned to steam clean the carpet later anyway) until I brought out the food. In retrospect, I suppose it would have been better to wait until things calmed down outside, instead of feeding excited toddlers cookies and pb&j sanswiches on my beige carpet. But it all worked out as every stain came out.

The storm died down as quickly as it appeared, so we trekked back outside for the cake cutting. My daughter however was more interested in chasing her brother and a basketball in her killer outfit, than smooshing her cake all over the place, so we were only able to keep her for a minute for a few photo ops. What can I say, it was her day, she could do whatever her little heart wanted.

As for the presents, I ended up opening them with a little friend of my daughter's, for the same reason. Although my son was nice enough to join us for a few pictures when one of the presents caught his eye.

Some two hours later after everyone left, my kids were still chasing each other around the house. My son kept singing Happy Birthday to his sister, as she continued to wear her crown and use her princess wand as a teething ring. As I watched this exchange, I couldn't help but wonder if my kids are princess and prince, does that make me Queen?

No comments: