Friday, March 25, 2011

My Southern Gentleman in the Making

My three-year old son chats non-stop. A few days ago, I began noticing some of his words sounded different. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was definately a change.

Surprisingly related to this story, a friend of mine left a voicemail, which I checked this morning. I noted her southern drawl on certain words like 'there' making it sound like 'thayrrrrre'. Don't fear, I'm about to make the connection. This afternoon in the car, my son wanted me to follow the railroad tracks and whined 'no mommy, over thayrrrre!', indicating which way I should turn. It hits me like a ton of bricks. He's developing a southern accent.

My husband and I tried to nurture a sort of international accent, but alas, he's succomed to the influences around him. We'll, I suppose I can live woth him saying 'ya'll' (since I've adapted it to), but I'm putting my foot down at 'fixin' to'!

No comments: