Thursday, June 9, 2011

Beach Vacation

Had a great beach vacation on Portofino Island with the DH, kids and MIL. The resort is fantastic, so much so that we barely left it. Five days of poolside lounging, swimming in the Gulf and a little sightseeing...I almost feel rested. Almost.

Hands down, the highlight of our trip were the dolphin cruises. The kids absolutely loved riding the waves and of course dolphin spotting. Can't tell how how much joy I heard in their little falsetto voices when they would shout "look mama, dolphins!!!".

Somewhere between last summer and the start of this one, my son learned the dog paddle (with floats of course) and is diving into the pool with more gusto than ever. My precious daughter is now just building the nerve to jump in, but getting the hang of it quickly.

Last year, we stayed clear of the ocean, sticking to the resort pool courtesy of BP. But this year, the kids got to build their first sandcastles and waddle in the Gulf. It was fantastic.

We somehow found the time to visit the National Naval Aviation Museum and the Pensacola Lighthouse. The DH and son are huge aeronautics fans and walked though mouths open, eyes wide. Not sure who was cuter. Swapping kid watch, the adults climbed 177 steps up to the top of the haunted Pensacola Lighthouse. Not sure if I felt any kindred spirits, but I sure feel the effects of my steep stair climb days later. No wonder the guide at the top didn't have an ounce of body fat. I should take his job next summer.

Now we're back. As much as I loved my vacation, I'm glad to be home engrossed in the hectic craziness that is my life. But most of all, I'm happy to be in my own bed, using my own shower. Priceless.

No comments: