Monday, October 24, 2011

Three Strikes

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, it's just going to be a difficult morning. Today was one of those mornings. The following takes place between 9:30am-11:45am.

1. At my toddlers' gymnastics class this morning, I felt myself getting 'the eye' while my son was sulking on one side of the room while I was attending to my daughter on the other side. Admittedly it's a little more challenging for me since I'm the only mom with two kids in class. If I only had one, I could be connected to the hip the whole time, but obviously that's not going to work. Besides, my son is the King of Sulking when he doesn't get his own way, and I am not prepared to indulge him in this. Since a spank would incite the wrath of southern Moms everywhere, leaving him for a minute to process his actions is my current mode of operandi.

2. After class, we stopped at a local restaurant to preview their private dining room for a reception we're planning. On the sidewalk, a grandma-ish looking woman stops us to ask, "are you taking them on a field trip?". WTH? Not sure what she meant (but pretty sure I had an idea...yes ma'am they're mine), I politely answered, "No, we're just stopping in here.". That seemed to satisfy her curiosity allowing us to escape into the restaurant.

3. Our third trip was to Walmart to pick up a few necessities. After the shopping was done, the kids who were on their best behavior, were loaded up into the cart, along with a few bags. As I always do, I squeeze the cart full of people and produce between my car and the one next to me, take one kiddo out and strap him/her in, then go to the other side and repeat steps two and three. Then, I put the groceries in the trunk. Well, as I was strapping my son in, two women walked by and one grumbled (loud enough for me to hear) something to the effect of, "I can't believe she left this child in the cart.". Again, WTH! I do not believe they were aware that at that very moment that I was strapping in another child. I suppose they thought I was loading groceries in the back seat. Still, if they were that interested in the child's safety, why not stop me and suggest I do it the other way around instead of being rude? So frustrating.

Thankfully the rest of the day was much more pleasant. The kids and I played, worked in the yard and I didn't have to fight with my son to get him to eat dinner. Score!

So let this be a lesson to you...it's not how you start your day, it's how you finish.

No comments: