Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade Christmas Ornaments

I discovered another interesting 'pin' from Pinterest  for Homemade Christmas Ornaments. The kids and I made these before we left for our trip. Even though we followed the directions exactly, the drying time was much longer than anticipated. So, we left them on the cookie sheet while away, and came back to find they hardened nicely. Now, they just need to be painted. But I think that may be a task for next Christmas break.

As far as projects go, this was top on the kids' list. They enjoyed getting their hands dirty in the batter, watching me roll out the dough and using the cookie cutters. Mess wise, expect a ton. Sticky dough is exceptionally difficult to clean up. But, the memory of it all is priceless.

When the recipe calls for 20 minutes of kneading, they weren't kidding.



 
For the circle shape, I used the top of a mini cake tin. For the others, I used regular cookie cutters. The hanging mechanism for all the ornaments were created by punching a hole at the top with a plastic straw.



They can be painted, stained or left natural. I'm undecided. But, I have a whole year to figure it out. :)

No comments: