Monday, January 2, 2012

Yes Children, There is a Santa Claus.



Following Fox News anchor Robin Robinson's declaration on the evening news that Santa isn't real, I read a lot of blogs and magazine articles expressing diabolically polar views on whether or not we should allow our children to believe in Santa. As the mother of a three-year old and two-year old, this story was especially interesting to me. I am pleased to say that the discussions have not changed my current practice. Here's why.
  • In 2011, I remember crying on numerous occassions while watching news reports of children comitting suicide as a result of bullying.
  • I sympathized with military families who lost loved ones in far away lands.
  • My family happily gave money and time, even when it was difficult to do so, in order to help hundreds of thousands of people affected by natural disasters, poverty, etc.
  • My husband and I get chills when we read the stats about teen pregnancy, drug abuse and crime, and think about the best course of action to protect our children from these social ills.
  • Amidst this worldwide recession, I am grateful that husband's job is secure and my family can still afford to live in our home, even while three houses on our street are in foreclosure
I am not endorsing crazy Elf on the Shelf behavior or having your 14-year old set out cookies for Santa and carrots for Rudolph. The point is there are so many distressing, depressing and disgusting issues all around us, there is no harm in indulging children's imaginations in a little holiday magic. I talk to my kids about Santa. I 'help' them write their letters and read Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve. No parent on their soapbox is going to change that. And I pray when the're all grown up, they'll look back on this time as lovingly as I will.

No comments: