Thursday, April 19, 2012

Afternoon Challenge



Here's what happened...

1pm
I place my very tired 2 1/2 year-old daughter in her crib, kiss her goodbye, turn out the lights and close the door hoping she takes a well-deserved nap.

1pm-2pm
Amidst the sounds of toys being thrown around and bouncing up and down, I listen attentively for any signs she's slowing down.

2pm
She begins crying to come out of her crib. I ignore her cries because I am trying to convince myself that she will soothe herself and fall asleep. Yeah right.

2:15pm
Not able to take it anymore, I go into her room pick her up and settle into the rocking chair, still hoping there's a chance those puffy, red eyes will close for at least 40 minutes.

2:35pm
I'm watching the clock, highly alert to any changes in breathing. Sadly, there are none. As I continue to rock, I feel her former drowsiness leave her body for mine. I wonder who will give in first.

2:40pm
She begins pulling on the rocking chair cushions, my hair, her hair, and begins to fidget. Determined not to lose this battle, I pull her closer and begin to hum. I get sleepier.

2:45pm
She's really getting antsy now. The redness in the eyes are long gone. There's not hint of the sleepy little girl I saw hours ago. She begins pressing her feet into the arms of the rocking chair to propel herself up and away.

2:50pm
I admit defeat. She rises victorious.

No comments: