Monday, August 10, 2015

New Teacher Poem

Friday was "Teacher Assignment Day". That's when we find out who our kids will spend seven hours a day with for the next year. As you might imagine, it's very important to parents that our children be placed with knowledgeable and compassionate individuals, especially for first and second grades.

This year, the DH and I decided not to request specific teachers for Stinky and Blinky (requesting is common practice here). That method has been "hit or miss". Rather, we sat with the VP and spoke candidly with her about what our children need to help them excel and then left the decision up to her. Then we went home and prayed feverishly for God to guide her in the right direction.

Tomorrow is "Meet the Teacher Day". As I don't know or know of either of these women, I don't know what to expect or how to impart what it is my children need from them. So, I wrote them poems.

Stinky's:

Dear Mrs. X,

As I start my second grade year
There are some things that I should share.
Maybe these tips will help you and me
Have the greatest school year in history!

I can be a little a lot restless
And sometimes crave extra attention.
But please be patient with me
Because I really don't want to be sent to detention.

I love learning.
Math is my best subject.
I am helpful too
And I LOVE doing projects.

My Mom doesn't let me eat food with dyes
And I know I'm not supposed to tell lies.
She wants you to call her if ever there's a problem
She wants to work with you and help you solve them.

Mrs. X I'm so excited to spend the next year with you!
And do all the fun things second graders do!

Blinky's:

Dear Ms. X,

As I start my first grade year
There are some things that I should share.
Maybe these tips will help you and me
Have the greatest school year in history!
 
I can be a little a lot restless
But am very independent.
I'm great at being a big helper
And my smile is incandescent!
 
I have a big brother
Who is my favorite person in the whole world.
I am a Kinesthetic learner
And I LOVE dresses that twirl.
 
My Mom doesn't let me eat food with dyes
And I know I'm not supposed to tell lies.
She wants you to call her if ever there's a problem
She wants to work with you and help you solve them.
 
Mrs. X I'm so excited to spend the next year with you!
And do all the fun things first graders do!

At its core the poems are the same asking for a partnership between parent and teacher to help make the upcoming school year the best it can be, but personalized for each child. Hopefully the message will go over as intended and their teachers will respond in kind.

No comments: