Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The End of Summer

http://i2.wp.com/sheisradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/snoopy-charlie-brown-end-of-summer.jpg

Before I went back to work in 2012, I was a stay-at-home Mom. Stinky and Blinky went to preschool part-time (12 hours / week), but otherwise, we were always together. While I wouldn't trade those years for anything, at times it was overwhelming.

When my youngest Blinky started kindergarten two years ago the DH and I literally high-fived each other. We The kids were growing up and we were moving to the next phase of parenthood. What I didn't know then was that with growing up, comes a little less quality time. Inevitably I missed being there for every milestone. Leaving the workforce again isn't an option but better managing our summers is.

Last summer was a blur of activities that seemed to drag on forever. I was determined that this summer would be different. Activities this year were more purposeful (think Lego Math Camp and Second Grade Prep) and nothing was scheduled after 3pm. In addition, the DH and I relaxed our strict bedtime policy. This allowed us to have lazy evenings together and eliminated the nighttime rush. We went to the pool after dinner, the kids finally learned to ride their bikes, and we took a few road trips with the grandmas (more on our latest trip later).

So I'm a little sad that summer is officially over. While school doesn't start until next week, the extra-curricular activities start today. The relaxed evenings and late bedtimes won't be sustainable during the school year, but maybe we can hold on to the simple things, if only on the weekends.

No comments: