Today I am 37. It's a little odd having your birthday associated with the biggest terrorist plot in America, but hey, that's life. For many years after 9/11, I didn't do much in the way of celebration. It was not a conscious decision. But I guess the somber mood of all of America leached into my subconscious. Then, I had kids and through their innocence of afore-mentioned events and goodness, all of that changed.
Last weekend, we went to Shipwreck Island to celebrate. This has been a tradition for some years now. It works out for two reasons: I don't feel guilty partying on 9/11 and because the park closes for the season after Labor Day, it forces us to advance our plans guilt-free.
As its a slow day at work I've had time to sit and think about a few things that I am eternally grateful for, and a few that have made me fuming mad. Birthdays are always a time of reflection aren't they, so this isn't a totally random post. Here goes my first "top ten" blog entry. Drum roll please.
10 Things I'm Eternally Grateful For on my 37th Birthday
- God's grace and another year with the people I adore most in this world
- A loving husband
- Two incredibly beautiful, intelligent, and healthy kids
- Excellent health
- My extended family, especially my Mom who
nagsencourages me to do better in everything
- Good friends, who no matter where they are in the world, text me during the wee hours of the morning to wish me Happy Birthday
- A j.o.b.
- Awesome co-workers, this is a rarity
- People, who in spite of the world around them, try to make a positive difference in the lives of others. I appreciate you and you inspire me
- 92 more days until vacation
10 Things That Totally Pissed Me Off Recently
- Petra Laszlo (that Hungarian reporter) who was caught on film kicking refugees (including children) near the Serbian border
- James Blake's brutal attack by NYC's finest who were going off information from an "eye witness" who falsely accused Blake of giving him a false credit card
- Forced apologies that don't mean shit because even though they really are, no one wants to be publically perceived as racist / prejudiced
- Kim Davis' jail stint comparison to Martin Luther King Jr's imprisonment, UGH!
- Ridiculous facebook posts, often of a political nature, that have no basis in fact, that keep getting re-shared
- Donald Trump, 'nuff said
- Bill Cosby's fall from grace
- Conservative America's support of Jush Duggar
- Lies, the big fat kind
- Low-fat recipes that promise to taste like the original but clearly do not
There will be a great many challenges my kids will face. I am trusting God that they will have the countenance to overcome them all and perhaps by their 37th birthdays, the world will indeed be a better place.