Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Rebellious Phase


It seem 7 1/2 year-old Stinky is going through a rebellious phase. If it doesn't involve play, he's going to damned sure put up a fight, back-talking and all. He is driving.me.crazy.

The DH and I have been trying to find an effective punishment for him. We pop the kids once and a while when they're really out of line, but find that it doesn't cub repeat behavior long-term. Recently, we've been taking away privileges (e.g. X-box time) and that seems to be working better, but not completely.

I've wondered if there is an underlying problem and I don't think so. He's doing well in school, has done a decent job of being sweet to his little sister (this is a work in progress) and is still engaged with his hobbies. For now, it boils down to Stinky being a strong-willed child who has always liked to push buttons. Some days we manage him pretty well (not as horrible as it sounds), but other days we fail miserably. In the words of my unsympathetic mom, "Honey, what do you expect, he's just like you." Thanks Mom.

Anyhoo, I have a plan. The weather has not been great, so Stinky has not had his usual one-hour of playtime in the sun every day. I try to make up for it with activities in the house, but his creative mind needs his overactive body to run! After school today, I think I will let the kiddos ride their scooters in the garage to work out the willies before homework. We'll see how that goes. Wish me luck.

No comments: