Friday, September 2, 2016

Homework Help


Yesterday's post was a little bit of comic relief about homework. But in all seriousness, homework days (i.e. Monday - Thursday) can be rough. Luckily, this year, I discovered an app that makes one part of homework effortless. At least on my part.

I learned about Spelling City from a rival teacher's weekly newsletter at the start of the school year. (Yes, I'm that competitive!) On Mondays, I enter the kids' spelling words and Spelling City uses those lists to create games which test the kids on their spelling and vocabulary. Favorites are Hang Mouse, Word Unscramble and Test-N-Teach. The kids are being drilled on their spelling words without having to write and recite, and actually have fun while doing so. So far they've had two spelling tests (there's a third today) and scored 100 each time. It may be to early to call it, but I think its working.

One of the unforeseen benefits of using this app is that Stinky and Blinky are getting some experience working independently. They work on a section totally unsupervised, toward a goal of 100%. It has benefitted the three of us nicely and will hopefully pave the way for more independent work. Please. God.

There is a free version and a premium version. We had the premium version for a 30-day trial, however we didn't renew as the free version was sufficient for our purposes.

I have no affiliation with Spelling City, nor have I been paid for this post. Just thought I'd throw a bone to other Mamas who may occasionally find themselves overwhelmed with homework. 'Cause I'm nice like that. :)

No comments: