Monday, October 10, 2016

Hurricane Matthew Aftermath

The Bahamas has once again been battered by a category 4 hurricane. Last year, the southern Bahamas was devastated by Hurricane Joaquin. This year, Hurricane Matthew obliterated the northern islands, including New Providence, where my parents and brother live.

My parents and brother live near the beach in the eastern New Providence. Storm surges and high tides brought more than two feet of flooding. The water rose so quickly, there was little time to react. Here are a few photos of the interior:




 
Here are some photos of the backyard, near the workshop:
 



Some families had broken windows. Theirs were ok thanks to homemade storm shutters that my Dad and brother are really proud of:


Landlines have been down since Wednesday night and electricity has been off since Thursday morning. Still, their spirits are high.

As bad as things are, Bahamians still have a lot to be thankful for. At last check, the death toll in Haiti from Hurricane Matthew was over 900. I can't even imagine.

If you are in a position to give any of the island nations that have been affected by this storm, please do so. There is no federal assistance like in the USA and while volunteers swoop in during the weeks and months that follow, their level of assistance depends greatly upon their level of resources. There is of course the Red Cross, but others include UMCOR, and Doctors Without Borders.

I leave you with this:

Matthew 25:35-40English Standard Version (ESV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,[a] you did it to me.’



No comments: